FPGA based Digital Pulse Width Modulator with Time Resolution under 2 ns
This work proposes a new DPWM architecture that takes advantage of FPGA’s advanced characteristics, especially the DLLs (Delay-Locked Loop) present in almost every FPGA. The proposed DPWM combines a synchronous (counter-based) block with an asynchronous block for increased resolution without unnecessarily increasing the clock frequency. The experimental results show an implementation in a low cost FPGA (Xilinx Spartan-3) that uses an external 32 MHz clock for a final time resolution under 2 ns.
2. B. J. Patella, A. Prodic, A. Zirger, D. Maksimovic, “High-Frequency Digital Controller IC for DC-DC Converters”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 18, n. 1, pp. 438-446, Jan. 2003.
3.A. V. Peterchev, J. Xiao, S. R. Sanders, “Architecture and IC Implementation of a Digital VRM Controller”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 18, n. 1, pp. 356-364, Jan. 2003.
4. A. V. Peterchev, S. R. Sanders, “Quantization Resolution and Limit Cycling in Digitally Controlled PWM Converters”, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 18, n. 1, pp. 301-308, Jan. 2003.
5.H. Peng, A. Prodic, E. Alarcon, D. Maksimovic, "Modeling of Quantization Effects in Digitally Controlled DC-DC Converters", Proc. IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf. (PESC), Jun. 2004, Aachen, Germany, pp. 4312-4318.
6. A.P. Dancy, A.P. Chandrakasan, “Ultra low power control circuits for PWM converters”, Proc. IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conf. (PESC), June 1997, St. Louis, Missouri, USA, vol. 1, pp. 21-27.
7. E. O'Malley, K. Rinne, "A Programmable Digital Pulse Width Modulator Providing Versatile Pulse Patterns and Supporting Switching Frequencies Beyond 15 MHz", Proc. IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conf. Expo (APEC), vol. 1, Feb. 2004, Anaheim, CA, pp. 53-59.
Copyright (c) 2009 Madhusudhanan R
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors need to sign following agreement with International Journal of MC Square Scientific Research before publishing their articles:
- Authors need to return copyright form to Journal Editor-in-chief to proceed their articles for publication. Meantime, the journal licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits other user to distribute the work with an acknowledgement of the authors for International Journal of MC Square Scientific Research.
- Authors are also able to share their separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-restricted contribution of the journal with an acknowledgement of publication in International Journal of MC Square Scientific Research.
- Authors are allowed and encouraged to share their work during the submission process for increasing citation and exploring to increase the paper availability in worldwide way. The Effect of Open Access.